1. Temporary disconnect the network plug from the server.
2. Log into the VM server as an administrator.
3. Change each alternate access mapping for your MOSS/WSS deployment in Central Administration:
- Open Central Administration, "Operations" Tab, "Alternate access mappings" link.
- Modify each mapping item to reflect your newly chosen server name. Don't modify the port number. Leave it alone. (see figure 1)
4. Run stsadm to rename the server
- Open a command prompt window
cd "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\BIN"
- stsadm -o renameserver -newservername "newservername" -oldservername "oldservername"
5. Rename your Server via Change Name Operation in Windows Server 2003. Start Menu Control Panel System, "Computer Name" tab, "Change" button. Input your new server name. If the server was already setup with an existing domain name, the server won't allow you to do it because it requires network connection in order to communicate with the domain. Instead change domain to WORKGROUP first.
6. Shut down the server. Connect the server back to the network. Start the server and login in as administrator.
7. Change the WORKGROUP back the original domain name. Reboot the machine if server ask you to restart the computer.
8. Restart IIS. Go to command prompt. Type "iisreset /noforce"
Highlight the pool and view properties. Go to the identity tab. If the pool is using the “predefined identity” leave it set. Do not change it to configurable.You will definitely need to change Shared_Services_One, the two SharePoint and the SharePoint Central Administration. Be sure to review all the others to ensure they are correct (see figure 3). Simply edit the computer name portion of the user name, enter the password and click apply. Note the old server name in the picture was SHAREPNTSERVER.
You will be asked to confirm the password. Enter it and click okay. Then click OK to exit the pool properties screen. Continue changing the remainder.
10. Drop and rebuild search index.
11. Browse to URL for Central Administration and test site.